Hotel Access Statement
Welcome to The Royal & Fortescue Hotel
We are committed to creating great memories and experiences for all our guests. We hope you will find this access information useful and that it helps to make your visit an enjoyable one.
We are aware that everyone’s needs are different, so if there is any detail you are looking for that is not covered in the information below, then please do get in touch and we will be happy to help. And of course, our friendly and experienced team will be on hand to assist you at any point during your stay with us.
Some general points on access
- The Royal & Fortescue is situated centrally in Barnstaple, a predominantly level town, with a pleasant river frontage.
- There is a taxi rank 50 metres from the front entrance.
Getting Here & Parking
- The hotel has 27 complimentary car parking spaces which are subject to availability on a first come first served basis. Unfortunately we are unable to guarantee the availability of parking.
- When travelling to us using a SatNav please use one of the following postcodes: EX32 8NA or EX32 8HR. The hotel's car parking is located behind the hotel on Wells Street and is clearly signposted. Our car parks are locked 24hrs per day and you will require a code to gain access, please contact us on: 01271 342289 on the day of your arrival and we will give you the necessary codes to gain access and provide you with any assistance or porterage should your require it.
- In the unfortunate event that our car parks are full, public car parking is situated close by. The nearest public car park to the hotel is Belle Meadow Car Park and its postcode is EX32 8HX. This car park is free between the hours of 18:00-08:00. Outside of these hours parking is charged at approximately £1.10 per hour upto a full day charge of £11.60. This car park is pay and display and both cash and card payments are accepted. It also accepts payment via the RingGo app the RingGo reference is: 3601.
Before you arrive
- Enquiries and reservations may be made online or by phone, fax or email.
- Should you require a taxi from the Barnstaple railway station (10 minutes drive) or the bus station (5 minutes drive), we use a reliable company and would be able to book them on your behalf.
- Directions from the M5: Take junction 27, A361 for Barnstaple. Follow signs to the town centre. 1st roundabout take right exit. 2nd roundabout (Tesco) go straight on. 3rd roundabout go straight on. 4th roundabout (Taw Ford Garage) take right exit. 5th roundabout go straight on. 6th roundabout take right exit and pass the bus station on your left.
- Continue towards the town centre, taking the next left. Take the next left again onto Boutport Street. 400 yards down the street you will find The Royal and Fortescue and 62 The Bank on your left.
- On arrival, if you park outside the hotel, we can assist you with your luggage. From here, a valet parking service is available, or we can direct you to our residents’ car park.
When you arrive at the hotel
- There is a drop off point at the main entrance to the hotel.
- There is a designated disabled parking space in the car park at the rear of the hotel.
- Entrance to the front of the hotel is level from the street.
- Our porter is always available to assist you and, if you wish, your luggage can be collected from your car and delivered direct to your room. Our porter can also help you upon departure.
- We have a 24 hour Reception desk.
Our Reception area
- The floor is tiled.
- The Reception area is all on one level.
- Staff are always available to help you with check in.
- All corridors are well lit and carpeted.
- The Lord Fortescue Restaurant and the main lounge are on one level and accessible from the main entrance.
- The Coffee House & the bistro 62 The Bank are accessed via a slight carpeted slope immediately off of the reception area.
- Any doors in these areas are on auto closures.
- Our disabled toilet is situated on the ground floor close to the main reception and is easily accessible from the Coffee House, lounge and the Lord Fortescue restaurant. The disabled toilet is fitted with an emergency alarm.
- Ladies toilets are adjacent to the disabled toilet.
- Gents toilets are on the ground floor 10 metres from the Lord Fortescue Restaurant.
Lord Fortescue Restaurant, Coffee House & 62 The Bank
- There is ample movable seating in all three and there are chairs with or without arms available.
- There is background music in most areas. This can be adjusted if requested.
- Service is a mixture of self service and table service. Full waiter service can be provided if required.
- Lord Fortescue Restaurant tables are laid with white table linen.
- There is a mixture of natural and artificial light in all areas.
- There are four rooms located on the ground floor with ramped access to the courtyard where they are situated. Two of these rooms have ramped access into the rooms.
- We do not have adapted bathrooms but many are fitted with grab rails over the bath.
- There is a lift, with Braille, to all floors but access to some rooms will still mean the use of one or more steps. Where there are steps to rooms these are fitted with hand rails.
- The Percival Suite has a disabled friendly toilet and shower room and is adjacent to the lift on the first floor, with no steps.
- There are telephones in all rooms and 24 hour room service is available.
Please reserve the following equipment when you make your booking. If you require anything that is not listed below, please contact us and we will do our utmost to arrange the hire on your behalf.
- Bath Seat
- Raised toilet seats
- High chair
- The fire alarm is a high pitched siren and does not have flashing lights.
- Deafguards linked to the alarm system available on request for those guests with impaired hearing.
- Emergency evacuation plans are available in each room. Please ensure that you make yourself familiar with these for your own safety.
- An evacuation procedure can be agreed with guests on arrival.
- Service dogs (only) are welcome on the premises.
- Small fridges are available on request for medication.
We have tried to be as accurate and detailed as possible in our Access Statement but we are always willing to give further information on any aspect of the hotel. If you feel you have a particular query we have not covered then please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are always looking to improve our service to our guests, so please let us know if you have any comments about this access statement. We would welcome any suggestions you may have that would make your stay with us more comfortable and enjoyable.
Tel: 01271 342289
Fax: 01271 340102
Address: The Royal & Fortescue Hotel, Boutport Street, Barnstaple, Devon EX31 1HG
Car park postcodes: EX32 8NA or EX32 8HR