The purpose of this accessibility guide is to help you make an informed decision as to whether The Royal & Fortescue Hotel will be suitable for you and your family, friends and colleagues. We are committed to improving accessibility for all guests and visitors whatever your requirements so that you can enjoy your stay with us. All of us at Saunton are dedicated to creating wonderful #sauntonmoments for our guests so we hope that you find this information useful and beneficial.
However, we are aware that everyone’s needs are different, so if you have any questions or if there is anything not covered in the information that follows, please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you. And of course, our friendly and experienced team will be on hand to assist you at any point during your stay with us.
- For assistance prior to arrival please contact the reservations team on 01271 342289
- Reservations are open between 7.30am-10pm every day.
- Our sample menus are available in a larger font on request.
- You can contact the hotel by phone, email or in person. Please email enquiries to email@example.com
- We can supply local taxi telephone numbers and there is a company in Barnstaple that has taxis suitable for less able people if required. We are happy to make a booking for you.
- There is a shop mobility scheme operating in Barnstaple (approx. 150 yards from the Hotel).
At a Glance
- The hotel is a building of four floors.
- The majority of bedrooms are located on the first, second and third floors.
- Four guest bedrooms are located at ground floor level with bedroom doors opening directly to open air.
- The remainder of the ground floor provides the lounge, bar, dining and function areas. There is a conference/function room on the first floor.
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor.
- All public rooms have plenty of natural light.
- All bedrooms and corridors are well lit with contrasting flooring and walls.
- The hotel does not allow pets unless they are assistance dogs. Assistance dogs must be registered.
- There is free wifi available throughout the hotel.
- Every bedroom has a telephone.
- The fire alarms are tested weekly. You will be made aware when they are if it is planned during your stay.
- There is one designated parking space in the car park at the side of the Hotel available to those with a blue disability badge. If the space isn’t available when you arrive, we can arrange to park your car for you.
- Entrance to the front of the hotel is flat and the maximum height of the threshold is 9mm.
- The width of the doorway is 155cm.
- Porters are always available to assist you and, if you wish, your luggage can be collected from your car and delivered directly to your room. A porter can also help you upon departure.
- The main car park is approximately 70 yards from the Hotel entrance, and the secondary car park is approximately 110 yards from the Hotel entrance. There is an unloading bay directly outside the Hotel entrance.
Getting Around the Hotel
- The flooring is tiled.
- The height of the reception desk is 111cm.
- There is seating available in the adjacent lounge with a selection of sofas, armchairs and tall back seats.
- The lighting is LED downlighting which is dimmable if required.
- Hearing loops are currently unavailable.
- The restaurant floor is a mixture of wood and carpet. The RF Lounge floor is carpeted.
- There is ample movable seating and there are chairs with or without arms available.
- There is background music in most areas. This can be adjusted if requested.
- Service is a mixture of buffet and table service. Full waiter service is provided if required.
- Restaurant tables are wooden.
- There is a mixture of natural and artificial light in all areas.
- Menus are typed clearly and can be supplied in larger text.
- Staff are happy to read and explain menus.
- All types of allergies and dietary requirements are catered for.
- Due to the age and nature of the building, steps on staircases around the building differ in height and depth. The minimum height of steps is 114mm and the maximum height is 216mm. The minimum depth of steps is 231mm and the maximum depth is 360mm. Handrails are located on all staircases on either the left hand or right hand side.
- On the upper floors of the Hotel, there may be a degree of variance in floor level.
- Reservations are happy to discuss your requirements upon booking and ensure a suitable room is allocated.
- There are between 17 and 35 steps to bedrooms on the main first floor, depending on the room allocation.
- There are a total of 31 to 37 steps to the second floor rooms, depending on the room allocation.
- There are a total of 51 to 54 steps to the third floor rooms, depending on the room allocation.
- There are between 17 and 24 steps to rooms on the first floor Mews, depending on the room allocation.
- There is a lift serving the four floors of the main Hotel, measuring 107cm by 139cm. The lift is equipped with a grab rail. All buttons are at an accessible height for wheelchair users. The lift is equipped with an emergency telephone line.
- The majority of bedrooms are located on first, second and third floor level and accessed via steps. 10 bedrooms have step free access using the lift and four bedrooms are located on the ground floor with step into bedroom/ramp available. On the first, second and third floors of the main Hotel five bedrooms are accessed via two steps after the lift and a further 22 have at least eight steps after the lift.
- Eight rooms on the first floor Mews level have 17 or more steps and no lift access.
- A Deafgard fire alarm listening device is available at reception
- The bedrooms have short pile carpets.
- All bedrooms have bedside lights - extra lighting is available on request.
- The majority of bedding is 'non feather'. Please advise us prior to your stay of any allergies.
- All bedrooms are 'non-smoking'.
- There is a telephone available in all bedrooms.
- All bedrooms have en-suite facilities
- Plugs are available on both sides of the bed in all Double / King Size bedrooms.
- Our single beds are 3 feet, double beds are 5 feet and super king beds are 6 feet.
- The amount of space around the bed varies depending on the room type reserved. Our reservations team can discuss this with you when booking.
- The majority of beds can be split into twin beds. However, this is not possible in some bedrooms.
- Nonallergic bedding is available.
- All bedrooms have either curtains or blinds.
- All bedrooms have a full-length mirror and also a dressing table mirror.
- All bedrooms have wardrobes of various sizes. This can be discussed with you when booking.
Bathrooms and Shower rooms
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor. This area is 119cm x 181cm.
- The room is well lit and the floor is tiled.
- The access door opens outwards.
- An emergency assistance alarm system is installed.
- Two supporting grab rails are provided either side of the toilet, and further grab rails are available adjacent to the sink and on the back of the door.
- The toilet flush is a paddle type design for ease of use.
- The toilet is at a specific height to make it easier for wheelchair users to transfer and for those with mobility issues to use it without needing to bend as far.
- The wash basin is accessible to wheelchair users
- There is a lever-handle tap or a tap for ease of use.
- Ladies' and Gents toilets are available on the ground floor, close to the restaurant, lounge and bar.
- Baby changing facilities are located on the ground floor in the disabled toilet.
- Some bathrooms are fitted with grab rails and portable grab rails can be provided upon request. Walk-in shower facilities are available in a selection of hotel bedrooms – please discuss your requirements with our reservations team when booking.
On booking, please inform our reception team of any equipment required for your booking and we will do our utmost to arrange this or hire on your behalf.
Some bedrooms have minibars, suitable for the storage of medication. The hotel will endeavour to provide minifridges in rooms upon request of this facility.
- The fire alarm is a continuous sounder and does not have flashing lights.
- Deafgards linked to the fire alarm system are available on request for those guests with impaired hearing.
- Fire action notices are available in each room. Please ensure that you make yourself familiar with these for your own safety.
- A personal emergency evacuation plan can be agreed upon arrival with guests. Please advise our team if you may require assistance to safely evacuate without the use of the lift.
This website (royalfortescue.co.uk) is run by Percy R Brend & Sons (Hoteliers) Ltd. We aim to provide a website that is accessible to a wide audience, regardless of technology or ability.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website and welcome any suggestions users might have to help us do so. If you feel that we are not meeting your accessibility requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have tried to be as accurate and detailed as possible in our Accessibility Guide but we are always willing to give further information on any aspect of the hotel. If you feel you have a particular query we have not covered then please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are always looking to improve our service to our guests, so please let us know if you have any comments about this guide. We would welcome any suggestions you may have that would make your stay with us more comfortable and enjoyable.