29th December 2021
22 reasons to visit in 2022
If you’re looking for an excuse to get away and need a few more reasons to tempt you, look no further than a break to the Royal & Fortescue Hotel in 2022. Think lazy lie-ins with a cuppa, romantic coastal strolls, slipping off for a siesta or discovering a food paradise - Devon has everything you could want and more.
1. Wide-open spaces, rosie cheeks, breathing in the fresh spring air and that sense of freedom only the great outdoors can bring. Getting your dose of the outdoors is key and where better to get outside than North Devon?
2. We all need a little time out from time to time. With the craziness of modern life, it’s easy to get swept up in the hustle and bustle, but sometimes the best times are those when you are simply doing nothing at all.
3. Home to some of the best beaches in the UK, a North Devon beach is a must on your 2022 travel agenda. Think paddling in clear waters, wiggling your toes in the sand and getting that coastal glow only the beach brings.
4. Admire the tranquil paradise that is RHS Rosemoor on your next trip to North Devon, with so much to marvel at it’s a hit for all.
5. If sweet treats and savoury delights served with a good ol’ cuppa or glass of fizz tick all the boxes then head to our RF Lounge & Bar.
6. We’re not sure why, but a lie-in on holiday is 10x better than at home. No alarm clock, no dishwashers beeping at you and no noisy neighbours, just you and the sweet dreams of sleeping bliss.
7. One of the best things about taking a break is no cooking and cleaning. Forget emptying the dishwasher, endless wash loads and constantly tidying as you put your feet up and let us take care of you.
8. All guests of the Royal & Fortescue Hotel can use the leisure facilities of our sister hotel, The Barnstaple Hotel free of charge, which includes indoor and outdoor heated swimming pools, fitness suites, heated stone beds and a sauna.
10. Hockings Ice Cream, need we say anymore? If you don’t know, we know you’ll be thanking us later.
11. A new favourite with people up and down the UK is wild swimming, with so many amazing dip destinations to choose from, including Dartmoor National Park, wild rivers and lakes.
12. If you love all things food and consider yourself a foodie favourite, Devon boasts some of the best cuisines around and we are proud to serve so many locally sourced dishes.
13. Now we know we can’t guarantee the weather, but rain or shine there’s always a wealth of things to do and see in our beautiful corner of the world.
14. The Valley of the Rocks is one of Devon’s best, think dramatic clifftops, vast landscapes, wild goats and if you’re lucky, on a clear day enjoy views out to the welsh coastline.
15. Devon’s biggest day out of the year is the renowned Devon County Show, on the weekend of the 30th of June’s head to the West Point Arena and a jam-packed programme of agriculture, livestock and local food and drink.
16. Cobbled streets, resident donkeys, fishing harbour and quaint pubs make this ‘Little Switzerland’ village of Clovelly a must-see. Need we say more, it sounds wonderful right?
17. Stretching along the River Taw and Estuary, the Tarka Trail takes you on a journey of exploration. Cycle or stroll through Devon villages including Fremington, Instow, Braunton and Bideford!
18. Although this sparks Devon’s biggest debate, Cream or Jam first? The Devon cream tea is not one to miss, buttery fluffy scones topped with thick clotted cream and strawberry preserve.
19. Snapping your camera and getting the perfect shot is one of life's small victories. We’re all for living in the moment but some things need to be captured and kept forever, so make sure to pack your camera or phone on your next Devon holiday.
20. Here at the Royal &Fortescue Hotel and across the Brend Group, we’re passionate about a greener, sustainable planet. From electric car charging points, plastic-free bags, recycling and much more rest assured that when you book a break with us it doesn’t cost the earth to do so.
21. When staying with us, guests can enjoy exclusive discounts across a variety of local attractions including RHS Rosemoor, Exmoor Zoo, Hartland Abbey and Dartington Crystal.
22. Because why not? If the last 2 years have taught us anything it’s that life is for living!